Victim Involved In Portland Shooting Identified By Patriot Prayer Founder.

Few Details have emerged about what took place about a man that was shot and killed in downtown Portland Saturday night, as President Donald Trump supporters clashed with protesters against police.

The Portland police haven’t released any information about the victim. The person was shot in the chest, police said.

Police had no suspect just after the shooting and are asking anyone who witnessed the incident or has first-hand video to contact them.

Police Chief Chuck Lovell urged people to not jump to conclusions about what led up to the shooting.

Patriot Prayer’s founder, Joey Gibson, has held pro-Trump rallies repeatedly in Portland and other cities since 2016. The events have drawn counter protesters from around the region and had heightened tensions in Portland long before Black Lives Matter demonstrators began nearly 100 days of nightly protests over the police killing of George Floyd.

The shooting victim was identified by Gibson as Aaron “Jay” Danielson of Portland. Photos taken of the body show he was wearing a Patriot Prayer hat. Police have released few details and pleaded with the public on Sunday to come forward with any information about the shooting.

Danielson also went by the name Jay Bishop, according to a statement on Patriot Prayer’s Facebook page.

A “Trump 2020 Cruise Rally in Portland,” started earlier in nearby Clackamas, Oregon, where a large group of Trump supporters and cars gathered, Video footage from KOIN showed pickup trucks with American flags, “Thin Blue Line” flags and Trump 2020 flags prominently displayed on the vehicles.

After the rally, a line of cars, motorcycles and trucks made its way along the “Trump 2020 cruise rally route” which appeared to include the downtown Portland area, according to an image on a Facebook advertisement of the event.

Portland police were aware of the rally and tried to keep the caravan out of the downtown area, Police Chief Chuck Lovell said at a news conference Sunday, but a group of the vehicles were able to “come into the downtown core.”

The police tweeted Saturday that there had been “some instances of violence between demonstrators and counter demonstrators.

“Videos posted by a New York Times reporter showed fights breaking out between Trump supporters and the protesters.

A man riding in the bed of a passing black pickup truck displaying a blue “Oregon for Trump” flag and an American flag can be seen pointing and firing a paintball gun at the protesters standing on the corner.

Riders in the black truck can be seen releasing some form of spray. And as a green pickup truck passes, someone riding in its bed can be seen spraying something toward protesters. Passengers in that green truck duck as the other protesters toss something at them.

The man who died was wearing a hat with the insignia of Patriot Prayer, a far-right group that has clashed with protesters in the past, according to New York times reporter Mike Baker.Trump tweeted “Rest In Peace” about the man.

Justin Dunlap, who witnessed the shooting and captured some of it on his Facebook live stream, said he “didn’t hear much lead up to it.

“I heard like three seconds of yelling and saw a guy spray bear mace,” Dunlap told CNN. “The victim sprayed mace and launched it right into the other guy.”

“I’ve watched the video 100 times, slow-mo and on my TV, and still don’t know where the shots actually came from,” Dunlap said.

Dunlap said he has been documenting the unrest in Portland since shortly after the George Floyd protests.

“I was in the wrong place at the right time,” he said.”I’m just a citizen journalist. I just want people to know what is going on out here.

“Before the shooting, Dunlap said he saw people who were part of the Trump supporters parade launch mace from the back of their vehicles to protesters walking down the street.

Timi Olaniyi

Leave a Reply

Next Post

Adebayo Dissociates Self From Ekiti 2022 Governorship Race.

2 months ago
Ifedayo Kelvin The Honourable Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Otunba Richard Adeniyi Adebayo (CON) has rejected speculations dragging him to contest in the governorship race of Ekiti State come 2022. The Minister, who first governed Ekiti State between 1999 and 2003 made this known on Monday in a statement […]

Follow

Subscribe to notifications
//azoaltou.com/afu.php?zoneid=2380379
%d bloggers like this: